RE: CB Radio in a DAK

From: Smith L. W. Nash (railway@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Nov 19 1997 - 23:42:19 EST

I bought one of those shelf units from JCW and with a little drilling into
their brackets, got it installed in the factory holes where the visors
went. It now holds my slimline CB, a Uniden Scanner, an Azden 2 meter
amateur radio, and maps with the visors mounted under it. Since I'm
selling my shortbed cap, I'm going to mount my 2 meter "in the roof"
mounted antenna in the center of the roof. The scanner antenna is a mag
mount on the front corner of the bedrail behind the driver and the CB is
coming out except on long trips. I have a mag mount K40 that gives me an
SWR reading of 1.18:1 ratio on the meter. It's mounted on the other corner
of the bedrail behind the passenger. Never failed me and the best radar
detector in the world with a greater than 30 mile reach on the flat and
about 10 miles in the hills. Forget the mountains. Just follow the
trucks, but not too closely. We get nervous when we can't see you in the
mirrors. Talk to 'em and they'll help you get a Smokey report.

Yes. The transmatch to use a radio antenna with CB isn't very good. It
has to loose some power to match the frequency used and that cripples the
CB. You can have a crummy radio, but if you got a good antenna, it'll
perform pretty darn well.

If you don't want to install a shelf, then get a mount that fits the tranny
hump. It's down and out of sight for the most part. the antenna will give
it away.

Smitty - KF4UQY
Raleigh, NC
'92 Dak, Reg Cab, Shtbd, 3.9L Magnum