re: hard to start

From: E. Frank Ball III (frankb@cougar.sr.hp.com)
Date: Thu Nov 20 1997 - 13:03:33 EST

} Hi everyone. I just found this list. This is great! I have a 1995 Dakota,
} 4x4, with a 318, automatic, and I love it. I am, however, having a problem
} that the Dodge folks can't figure out. Maybe one of you has had this same
} experience. When I'm on the freeway, between 60 mph and 70 mph, the motor
} surges. Not all the time, and at varying intensities. Some are rather violent.
} When I go 55 mph, or 50, or 75, it doesn't happen. Only between 60 and 70.
} Also, never when accelerating, never when decelerating. Just cruising.
} And it also does in when cruise is on, if at the right speed. It's also
} hard to start....cranks for a long time before starting.
} I've tried injector cleaner in my gas with no success. Any ideas?

My '95 doesn't hold fuel pressure very long. When I go to start it I
turn the key to "on" and wait. The fuel pump will run and pressurize
the system. After a few (3?) seconds I hear a metallic clunk from
behind me as the fuel pump shuts off. Now the fuel system is fully
pressurized and it starts right up. If I don't do this the engine just
cranks until the fuel pressure builds up enough for the fuel injectors
to work right. If it has been sitting more that a couple hours I need
to do this. I'm not sure if it is normal for the fuel system to loose
pressure this fast or not, I could have a bad valve.

Frank Ball 1UR-M frankb@sr.hp.com (707) 794-4168 work
Hewlett Packard (707) 794-3038 fax (707) 538-3693 home
1212 Valley House Drive Kawi KDX200, Yamaha XT350 YZF600R Seca 750
Rohnert Park CA 94928-4999 '95 Dakota SLT Club Cab V8 5-Speed 2WD