Re: Dakota puchase questions

From: Peter Davis (davisp@uwplatt.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 26 1997 - 12:21:59 EST

Jeff Lee wrote:

> I hope to soon be the owner of a 98 Dakota 4x2 short bed.
> I would like to get some feedback on options, experiences, and things to
> watch out for (gotchas). Any help from current Dakota owners would be
> appreciated.
>
> My current hunting list includes:
>
> 25B sport package
> V8, 5 speed
> Anti-slip differential
> Tow package
> Air
> 22 gallon tank
> power convenience group
> deluxe convenience group
> 5x7 power mirrors
> fog lights
> sliding rear window
> P235/70R15 tires with 15x8 wheels

MMMMMMMMMMMMMM, sounds like a nice truck....is the wheel/tire combo you are
specing the wider sport 2WD tires? I think it is the handling (?)
package. The wider tires sure do look awesome and they come with a much
higher quality tire. I think you have an intelligently packaged truck wish
list. Especially the anti-slip!!!! One advantage with the 5-speed is that
the Dakota auto tranny has a tendency to fail at app. 50K miles. This was
fine when the warranty was 7/70K but a bit worrisome now that the standard
warranty is 3/36.

The only quirks I have noticed with my 97 Dak are: idle surging (fixed
under warranty); a sensitivity towards what kind of gas I put in the thing
(My truck only likes high quality, mid-octane fuel nothing else.); and
various thumps, creaks, etc under the body when hitting bumps...

Spray bedliner or nothing else.

And oh yes with the 5spd V8....stock up on alot of rear tires!!! vroom.

Pete
'97 Dak 2WD V6 CC