Re: TIRE SIZING

From: Peter (rkatek@slkc.uswest.net)
Date: Thu Jan 01 1998 - 13:57:29 EST

Michael D Gemelke wrote:

> I'm new to the whole truck improvement game. Forgive me if this is a
> naive question. I just got a used '95 Dakota Xcab with 15" aluminum
> wheels (factory) and am looking to make some improvements. The first
> thing that must go are the Goodyear 215/75R15 Invicta GL Tires. I don't
> want to invest in new wheels, but would like to get the widest tires that
> I can fit on the factory wheels. Are the factory wheels wide enough to
> take something like a 225/70/15? Can anybody tell me what the dimensions
> of these wheels are, or direct me to some information that will help? How
> wide a tire can I get? I'm thinking of something like a BFG Trail T/A or
> All Terrain T/A - something with an aggressive-looking tread.
>
> Any advice you can give to this "newby" would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> -Mike
>
> (since this is my first post - I'll provide some details on the
> truck...Green 2WD '95 XCAB shortbed V6Mag w/ 15" Al wheels, factory
> everything - w/ Infinity sound system (which I'm replacing this weekend
> w/Pioneer))
If your wheels are the 15x6 the largest wheels you can fit on the 6"wide
wheels are a 235/75r15. I looked this up in a tire fitment book at
Sam's Club. I had the 235/75r15 tires on my 15x6 rims, they came as an
upgrade on the truck. I have the BFG radial A/T' on my truck and really
like them. 92 4x4 club cab LE