Re: GlassPack vs Turbo mufflers

From: jim miller (jmiller@eramp.net)
Date: Thu Jan 08 1998 - 23:10:48 EST

Michael D Gemelke wrote:

> I'm looking to put a less restrictive muffler on my '95 Dakota 3.9L V6,
> but I don't want to wake the neighbors as I leave for work in the morning.
> It looks like I have two basic alternatives to replacing my stock
> muffler: either a glasspacked muffler or a turbo muffler. My questions:
>
> Which is louder - glasspack or turbo?

> Some glaspacks are quite loud- generally the longer one u can use the
> quieter.
>

> which is less restrictive - glasspack or turbo?
>

> I understand some glasspacks create turbulance and are more restrictive than
> a good turbo.

> I had a turbo on my 89 shelby dak and it was pretty quiet.
> Any product/source suggestions (include part numbers if you know them)?

Look for flow specs available on good performance mufflers. Flowmaster is a
good brand.Warning...if you put dual exhaust on a v6 it may be louder than a
v8. I have a 3" catback with a specially made glasspack on my offbrand truck
(gmc syclone) that i own now, it is a v6 and it is pretty quiet untill you
nail the gas. Even then not very loud. K it came from A.T.R. I see in their
catalog they list a system for a 95 dak, dont know what engine, it is 3" id
mandrel bent all stainless steel and they claim it is 99.9 as free as a
straight pipe. They also offer a dual 2 1/2" downpipe, again i dont know what
engine, and they claim BIG horsepower gains with this item. (it may be off
road only). I wonder if the same exhaust will work on v6 or v8 since engine
appears the same sans the front 2 cylinders? Anyway Applied Technology and
Research, (864) 972-3800 in Fair Play Sc.

I hope this helps.
Jim Miller Waco, Texas
Waiting on a dak r/t