wheel rim torque

From: William Hatch (wkhesq@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Jan 09 1998 - 14:13:00 EST

Lots of questions as to the proper torque for wheel rims. Most auto
supply stores have a chart they will allow you to look at that will tell
you the proper torque for any given size bolt and thread.

I have an '87 4x4 with plain old rusty steel rims and I torque mine to
65 ft. lbs. Actually, the one flat I had, the torque didn't matter. I
could not get the wheel off of the rotor hub anyway. I had to get a ride
home and come back two times with two different pry bars. The 6' model
finally got it free. Now I use Lubriplate - silver colored water
resistant grease and I still can have one heck of a time busting them
free from the hub. Who knows, maybe I don't need lug nuts at all. Any
torque number higher than 65 means that the factory provided lug nut
wrench isn't long enough to give me leverage enough to break the nuts
free and I am old but still big and strong. Anyway, AAA is the way to
go, I guess.

Well, back to work.

WKH