'98 5.2L mileage

From: Mike (ax778@lafn.org)
Date: Mon Jan 19 1998 - 03:19:59 EST

Just got back from an annual Rock shohw trip to
Quartzite, AZ with a friend of mine, and did a careful
check on mileage. Starting in Newport Beach, CA at about
 sea level, departed eastbound to AZ via I-10.
First leg was uphill, and we arrived ther with 250 miles.
Fill up took 15.1gl = 16.5 mpg
 Speed was a steady 71mph via cruise control.
return trip was also at 71mph, back downhill to Newport, then
up the coast to Los Angeles Airport, which is where I live near.
That took another 297 mi, 16.6gl = 17.8mpg
overall mpg was 17.2mpg useing a light foot & cruise control both
ways, with uphill & downhill in both legs. Cool enough, no AC used.
 Have the 4sp auto, and do not see any effect of a torque convertor
lockup, so another squawk to the dealer for when I go in for the
4th time to get the cab mt. clunk/bang noise fixed.
 Weather was cool, about 70F, and at driver relief stops, engine
behaved and did not boil over, (hot block, no cooling air) In fact,
hood was not even really too hot. My Olds would get REAL toasty,
and I wondered why stuff never melted in the engine compartment.
 engine has 3200 miles on it now.

'98 club cab, factory anti-spin diff, 5.2L v8, tire&handling pkg,
auto trans.
Mike

--
Permission to use my e-mail address for unsolicited business
 e-mail is withdrawn as of Sept. 2, 1996.  Unsolicited

"What a waste it is to lose one's mind. Or not to have a mind is being very wasteful. How true that is."- Vice Pres. D. Quayle