Re: Engine Swap

From: david zavetsky (zavetsky@usaor.net)
Date: Wed Jan 21 1998 - 20:18:05 EST

At 05:25 PM 1/21/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Tony Mastres wrote:
>>
>> >Ok. I have a 97 Dakota with a V6 automatic. My mom is getting a Durango
>> >with a V8. She said if its possible and if I pay for it she would allow
>> >me to swap the V6 for the V8 4X2. Does anyone know how much a engine
>> >swap would cost to have done? and would i have to change the transmisson
>> >at all. If anyone has any information i could use please answer.
>> >
>> >Jason Clark
>>
>> I can only assume that this is tounge-in-cheek but in the off chance its
>> not, I'd say you're best bet would be to leave Mom's Durango alone and have
>> a v-8 put in your truck!
>> If you're v-6 is still in good condition maybe you can sell it or trade it
>> in to offset the cost of a v-8. You could also just sell your truck and get
>> one with a v-8.
>>
>> No offense but I cant tell who's crazier here, you for dreaming up this
>> scheme or your Mom for agreeing to it.
>>
>> Tony J. Mastres
>> Photographer
>> Photographic Services __
>> 1120 Kerr HAll UCSB []_.-' (Q,___\
>> Mastres@id.ucsb.edu *******`(o) >>>}__(o)s>
>or you for being a fool and sujesting me selling my truck just to get a
>V8!!!!!!!!

I THINK he was referring to selling your V6, not the truck....

The V6/ V8 swap is possible, IMHO, but will probably be very time consuming
and possibly expoensive.

First, time consuming: although the trucks are similar in many ways, I
would guess that the V6 wiring harness, sensor, etc, may be different than
the V8....lots of small details would have to be considered, like fuel pump
pressures, re-wiring stuff, etc.....And it would have to be done TWICE.

Expensive, because this swap would DEFINATELY void all factory warranties.
And a big chunk of what you pay for a new vehicle, in my opinion, is based
in having a warranty to cover possible defects....If ya do this swap. you is
on yo own.

The tranny and transfer case, diffs, and such would also play a role in this
swap.

Sounds very difficult or at least expensive.

Have Mom keep her truck the way it is, and get yourself either a wrecked
later model with the V8 and transplant or buy a crate motor.

Just my opinion.....