Re: Re: K/N Filters

From: Jeff Lee (jlee@atlanta.nsc.com)
Date: Fri Jan 23 1998 - 09:49:23 EST

Joe Borg wrote:

> Bob, is this a replacement to the stock filter? (fits in the stock
> housing) Did you notice any significant increase in sound or
> performance? Also, since you have a 98 too: does your motor develop a
> sort of whine when you floor it and run through the gears (mine is an
> auto). What rear do you have? I have a 3.55. I tach about 1800 at
> 60mph. I am upgrading to a 3.90 sure grip. If you have a 3.90 what do
> you tach at 60. Thanks, Joe

I have the 3.55 with a 5spd with only about 1000 miles on it. I think it
also runs around 1800rpm at 60. I also hear the whine (either engine or
trans) when I'm accelerating. Trans whine is most noticable in 1st and
2nd but lessens in the higher gears. Still whines a bit while cruising
on the highway in 5th. From what I understand (and thanks to all who
responded to my questions a while back) these are all normal sounds for
a Dak truck.

I did some comparison test drives before I bought my truck. The V8 5spd
4x2 with the 3.90 sure grip turned about 2500rpm @ 70mph vs 2250rpm @
70mph for the 3.55, so about 250rpm difference in 5th gear.

I have found that around town in traffic where 45mph is pretty typical,
4th gear with the 3.55 yields right at 2000rpm. This seems to be an
ideal cruise rpm - low enough to leave plenty of room to rev, and high
enough to have good throttle response and keep the engine from bogging
down. Of course with an auto you don't have much choice about gear
selection, but I guess down shifts are a bit quicker...

My feeling after comparing both the 3.55 and the 3.90 in a 4x2, that the
3.55 was a bit better suited for daily driving with a mixture of stop&go
and highway. Still has lots of pulling power with a tad better fuel
economy. From the posts I've read on this list, the 3.90 is nice if your
running a 4x4 with tall tires or towing alot, but it doesn't do a whole
lot for performance (1/4 ET, etc.) unless you have suspension mods and
wide tires to help with traction on take off. I realize I may have just
started a religious argument here - not intended.

jeff
98 RC V8 5spd 3.55LSD