Re: Slight modifications

From: Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Fri Jan 23 1998 - 10:10:03 EST

> How hard is installation on those bars? If it is complicated, then how much
> would it cost to have them installed?

  The installation is easy. The way the Addco bar routes does require that you
drill 4 3/8" holes in your truck's frame. You can do it with a 3/8" drill,
but I would recommend a 1/2" drill. Lining up the bar and marking the frame
for drilling is literally the hardest part, which tells you that it's a pretty
simple job. The instructions are pretty good; the only problem with them is
the orientation of the drawing they supply (the arrow which points to the
vehicle's front is backwards, so I called them to make sure they change it).

  You could certainly pay someone else to do it if you aren't comfortable
taking a drill to your truck. Installation took me a while, because I was
being careful and doing extra little things like sealing the holes with
silicone. They'd probably charge you for 0.5-1 hour labor.

  Another option if you don't like drilling is the Hellwig Sport-Tech rear
bar. From the pictures I've seen, it looks like it clamps to the truck's
frame (but others on the list claim that it bolts to the frame using pre-
existing holes; between you and I, I didn't see any on my '95 on either
the front or back of the rear end, but I don't know exactly where it mounts).
Reason I didn't get the Hellwig is because the Addco mounted in a less
obtrusive location and was slightly stiffer.

  Ron