Re: air bag

From: Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Fri Jan 23 1998 - 14:59:50 EST

JT McBride wrote:

> I believe there's no benefit to airbags. 99.99% of the benefits the
> NHTSA attributes to them I believe are due to the seat belts the
> occupants were wearing.

  I feel much the same way. My 'druthers would be for factory 4-point
harnesses rather than the 3-point belts. The airbag seems like an overly
complex solution, which had to be legislated for existence, especially
since it still relies on wearing seat belts in order to provide safety.
I would bet that a simple harness would provide much more safety than
a 3-point & airbag for much less expense.

  Ron