Re: Auto X-Ray XP-240 Opinions/Experience ?

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Fri Jan 23 1998 - 18:42:24 EST

>I have one that I have been using for my pre OBD II Shelby Dakota and it work
>great for what I use it for.It is mainly a tool for scanning sensors and
>real time sensor readings.I have used it to diagnos fault codes too.It does
>not work as yet for the OBDII equiped cars and trucks.A update to utilize the
>Auto Xray in these vehicles supposedly will be ready by April.It is not that
>sophisticated for what you want it to do.

I'm not certain, but an '89 Shelby Dak doesn't even have OBD I, does it?
I'm pretty certain that the SBEC on the MPI (Magnum) Dakotas is more
sophisticated than the one on your truck.

My '93 isn't OBDII either. I wonder if the price of the non-OBDII units
will drop when the OBDII ones come out?

Does the thing have a clip-on spark wire sensor like a timing light?
That's the key question. I'm pretty sure it would be able to read crank-
shaft position, so with crank position and spark timing, they could
derive skew.

Someone (or maybe Kukooter) had described how the timing advance is
supposed to be set on the Magnum engines, and it involved setting that
skew. I haven't found it in the FSM, so I presume it's in the manual
for the factory diagnostic unit. Of course Chrysler only sells the
diagnostic unit that can test OBDII and earlier vehicles -- for $600+!
Pre-OBDII, the tester was about $250 I believe.

I wonder how Summit is about returns?

Jim

P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--
          Dakota: The Right Caliber of Dodge Magnum Force!
-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP
1993 Emerald Green V8 4x4 CC K&N, Accel Coil, Bilsteins, Redline synthetics.
Tread Lightly on Public and Private Lands -- Abuse it and we'll lose it!