Re: OFF TOPIC:Ram Wagon 4WD Conversion

From: Hemipower (Hemipower@AOL.COM)
Date: Tue Jan 27 1998 - 00:43:15 EST

In a message dated 98-01-26 11:43:13 EST, gt9742a@prism.gatech.edu writes:

<<

> OK Folks, I need some help a little off topic from Dakotas.
>
> I work for a State Government Wildlife Agency as a video producer. I shoot
> video all over Arkansas under all sorts of conditions and terrain. For the
> last eight years, I've driven a 1986 Chevy Suburban 4 X 4 to haul all sorts
> of expensive broadcast video camera gear, lighting and grip equipment, plus
> a medium-sized P.A. system for use in public meetings. The Sub is
> scheduled to be sold at our next public auction, so I'm trying to get a new
> work vehicle.
>
> >From what I understand, a new Suburban is out of the question. Some of
our
> higher-ups think the public wouldn't like seeing me work out of an
> "up-scale" SUV. My next choice would be a Durango. Not as much space as a
> Suburban, but a bit more than the state contract Jeep Cherokees.
> Higher-ups still won't go for it, saying the perception of wasting money on
> vehicles would still be there. THEIR idea is to get a new full-sized van
> (generally Dodges lately on state contract) and have it converted by some
> company called Quigley Motor Company ( http://WWW.quigley4x4.com ) to a
> four-wheeled drive. From what I understand, the conversion cost about 8K.
> Does anyone know anything about this company and the quality of it's work?
> I've driven a 96 Ram Wagon (stock 2WD) with the V6 for the last week and
> don't particularly care for it. Any help ASAP would greatly be
appreciated.

> David Settlemoir
> '95 CC 318 V8 4WD 3.21LSD

 Won't it wind up costing the same (Or possibly more) buying a van and
 converting it to 4WD as it will to buy a 4WD Durango, seems kind of stupid
 to go through all that trouble just because of people's perceptions.
 There's also the issue of handling, I've driven a a Dodge van before,
 they're very top heavy and leave something to be desired while going
 around a curve, so it looks like they're going to be really unstable
 off-road, 4WD conversion or no. It would make more senmse to go ahead and
 get a vehicle designed to go off-road since that's where it'll be most of
 the time, but of course this is Gov't bureaucracy we're talking about, so
 all common-sense goes right out the window....

 Bruce

I couldn't agree more!!!!