Re: 3P/Airbag vs. 4P

From: Mike Crumley (mcrumley@airmail.net)
Date: Tue Jan 27 1998 - 15:19:57 EST

At 03:27 PM 1/26/98 , you wrote:

>Here in the US it's design to the lowest common denominator (assume people
are
>idiots and will take no resposibilty for their actions) vs make people go to
>drivers school and learn to buckle up. I think the lawyers like to keep it
that way
>(only in America can grandma sue McDonalds for 60 mil cause she spilled hot
>coffe on herself :-( With that mentality there is supposed to be the
equivalent
>of mommy to tuck you into your car (you don't know how yourself) so we get
things
>like the motorized seat-belt thingies and seat-belt spider-webs to get
entangled
>in. Rational ideas have little to do with it! :-)
>

>-Bob T.

I think it goes beyond _assuming_ that people don't want to take any
responsibility for anything. And why should they when there is a lawyer
just a phone call away whose job is to place blame on the deepest pockets?
(No personal offense meant to any lawyers on the list, but we all have to
live with our chosen profession's reputation. I should know, I used to be a
truck driver.) My favorite story is about the man who bought his wife a hot
air balloon ride for her birthday. The balloon pilot ran into some
electrical wires killing all on board. The husband sued the balloon
manufacturer because they didn't put a warning sign on the balloon saying
that if the balloon ran into electrical wires you could be electrocuted.
Don't laugh...he won big.

--
Mike Crumley  mcrumley@airmail.net
97 Dakota  Regular Cab  Short Bed