Re: Timing Chain

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Thu Jan 29 1998 - 19:42:54 EST

>> Timing chain wear? Are you saying that because your timing
>> chain is going bad, that your distributor cap is suffering too? Cause'
>chain has recently been replaced. I remember Kuk once talking about
>tweaking the distributor shaft to slightly adjust timming.

It worked. I advanced the "timing" of the distributor cap, and my backfire
putt-putt is gone. Clue here was that the rotor was burned at one edge,
not along the whole contact. I figure the worn timing chain results in
the cam (and distributor) being retarded. Note that the spark timing
does NOT change, as it's tied to the crankshaft position on the Magnum
engines. This could never happen with a conventional distributor, where
the spark timing is derived from distributor shaft angle (either breaker
or electronic).

That's life at 128K miles!

The timing chain will get replaced pretty soon.

Jim

P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--
          Dakota: The Right Caliber of Dodge Magnum Force!
-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP
1993 Emerald Green V8 4x4 CC K&N, Accel Coil, Bilsteins, Redline synthetics.
Tread Lightly on Public and Private Lands -- Abuse it and we'll lose it!