Re: FIPK/FABM harmful to new Dakotas??

From: Andy Callahan (quasideedle@uky.campus.mci.net)
Date: Tue Feb 03 1998 - 09:01:45 EST

At 08:04 AM 2/3/98 -0500, you wrote:
> Last night a visited a Parts USA near me. The manager seemed very
> knowledgeable and was into hot-rodding Fords. I ordered an Edelbrock
> 1208 and K&N E1080 (FABM). The manager cautioned me about using an oil
> soaked filter with 97 and up map or mass sensors (I dont remember
> which). He says the oil can screw up the sensors and cause problems.
> He had this problem with a Ford Taurus SHO and that Ford actually
> issued a bulletin about this.
> Has anyone heard of or had any experience with this?
>
> *Has anyone with a 97 or 98 318 DAK actually used a K&N?*
>
> Comments Please, Thanks, Joe Borg

I had an identical setup to the one you've ordered on my '97 Dak and had no
problems with it whatsoever. I'm not sure what this guy is talking about.
I guess he's talking about a mass air sensor, but I didn't realize the Daks
even had one. I know my '97 Mustang GT has a mass air sensor, but nearly
everyone on the Mustang newsgroups are using K&N's with absolutely no
problems. In fact, they recommend that as a first mod. I wouldn't worry
about it. I think this guy is misinformed.

Just my $0.02

BTW Joe, I have an S-bolt left from my K&N/Edelbrock setup. If you're
interested, I'm sure I could send it to ya. It's not the prettiest looking
thing, but it will surely do the job.

Andy Callahan