RE: PERFORMANCE UPDATES 97 DAk

From: Craig Baltzer (cbaltzer@Anjura.COM)
Date: Sun Feb 08 1998 - 03:54:14 EST

When I talked to the dealer here, it was a "cause" type of deal. If a
modification caused (in the dealers and/or Chryslers opinion) the
failure, then the warranty was void. So, if I put on a K&N filter and
later had excessive cam wear due to a manufacturing defect causing poor
oiling, then that would be covered. On the other hand if the excessive
wear was due to the K&N letting in grit which contaminated the oil and
caused the wear, then it would not be covered. Likewise if I put on a
cat back exhaust and had a burnt exhaust valve due to a defective cat
converter (i.e. it plugged up), then that would be covered. On the other
hand if when the exhaust was put on it blocked the exhaust system due to
a defective muffler, causing high back pressure and subsequently a burnt
valve, then it wouldn't be covered.

Bottom line, I think for things like exhaust you're pretty safe. Intake
is prob. ok as well, but when you start opening the motor, then its
going to get a bit more difficult. On the other hand, who is to say that
it isn't a stock cam unless you've gone hog wild and the thing won't
idle. Also try and get a guage for your dealer in terms of how "mod
savy" they are. The more knowledgeable the dealer, prob. the better luck
you will have getting things fixed under warranty. The "we just sell'm
as is" dealers seem to be sticklers for "if there is one thing changed
then the warranty is void" type of policies.

My personal take has always been to let things break in well (say 10K)
and see whats going to go wrong. If life is good at 10K, then go ahead
with the more "radical" mods, as nothing much is prob. going to happen
until 60-80K at least if its well looked after and you haven't gone hog
wild with a supercharger at 20 pounds of boost and a 250 shot of NOS on
the stock engine. I'm lucky that the service manager and a couple of the
mechanics at my dealership are real gearheads (the service manager is
busy putting a 360 crate motor (380 hp, 400 ft/lbs) in his '97 RAM,
wonder if that will void the warranty :-)...

Craig
'97 5.2l, K&N, cat back exhaust
Mopar cam, headers, springs & retainers
Coming soon: positive manifold pressure (prob. 7 pounds or so...)

Craig Baltzer - Anjura Technology Corp - Ottawa, Ontario
Craig.Baltzer@anjura.com - (613) 727-1411