RE: Stumble on Cold Acceleration

From: Joe Dille (joe@dille.montgomery.pa.us)
Date: Sun Feb 08 1998 - 06:17:18 EST

>At 05:40 PM 2/6/98 , you wrote:
>>Can anyone help me with this dakota? Subject is a '92 LE V-6, auto,
>>PS/PB/PW/PL, sunroof, etc. Sharp truck, with 45,000 one owner miles.
>>Lately, it has a habit of stumbling when accelerating, only when cold.
>>Soon as it warms up, it runs super smooth. New Plugs, plug wires,
>>distributor cap, rotor, EGR seems to be fine, no computer codes except
>>12 (no battery backup on SBEC11). My mechanic friend can't figure it
>>out (of course, by the time I get to his shop, it is warm and running
>>great). Would appreciate any help. Bud, Franklin NC budnj@dnet.net
>>

>When was the last time you changed the fuel filter? I've never heard of a
>clogged fuel filter only acting up when cold, but if the stumble occurred
>all the time and not _just_ when it was cold, I think the fuel filter
>would be the #1 suspect. Anyway, it's something to consider.

I agree with the fuel filter analysis. The fuel injection is
programed to emulate the accelerator pump and the choke functions
of a carburettor. Thiat it it gives an extra squirt of fuel when
you accelerate, or it is cold. If the fuel filter is clogged the
fuel injection can't give the extra squirt and you get stumbling.

The same thing happened on my fuel injected motorcycle. It
stumbled and coughed when it was cold, then ran fine when warm. It
would also stumble when I accelerated. I changed the fuel filter
and Bingo, no more problem. The stumble was so pronounced it felt
like an ignition problem.

Drive Safe,

Joe

>- --