Re: Advance Dist

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Tue Feb 10 1998 - 13:16:57 EST

Azie writes:
>Looking down on it from the top, turn it Counter Clockwise to
>advance!!! What are you trying to accomplish ????? The distributor
>doesn't really have an effect on the timing, anymore, as long as you
>have it within the general constraints of being close enough to fire on
>the correct post at the correct time. The advance, as we used to know
>it, is electronically controlled by the Engine Computer an all

That's right. The timing is controlled by the crankshaft position sensor
(a Hall effect sensor detecting notches in the flywheel) and tuned to
engine conditions by the SBEC. I suppose you could re-index the flywheel
notches, but a new computer would be a lot cheaper.

When I fixed my distributor for my stretched timing chain, I retarded
the distributor position by turning clockwise. Didn't change the timing.
But the rotor is lined up with the posts when a spark flies. Cam timing
is still retarded, with subsequent loss of power [though not so bad as
not getting sparks!]

FWIW

Jim

P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--
          Dakota: The Right Caliber of Dodge Magnum Force!
-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP
1993 Emerald Green V8 4x4 CC K&N, Accel Coil, Bilsteins, Redline synthetics.
Tread Lightly on Public and Private Lands -- Abuse it and we'll lose it!