Re: New engine

From: RLewis7785@AOL.COM
Date: Tue Feb 10 1998 - 17:59:55 EST

In a message dated 98-02-10 17:41:29 EST, Bruce writes:

<< Yes but if they can make 4.6 liters do that, looks like they could keep
 the same size (i.e. 5.2 and 5.8 L) and just bump up the power and
 efficiency of it not decrease the size of the engine..... >>

Bruce, all of the extra efficiency comes from the OHC (single or dual), which
would not fit under the hood of the pushrod V8 powered cars when the 4.6
arrived on the scene (I used it as an example because my father has one in a
Grand Marquis). Since that time it has been stroked and bored to become the
Triton Series (5.4L, and an unknown displacement V10 only available on the van
chassis for motorhomes) for the trucks. These engines are developing similar
to the way the V8's devleloped in the 50's. The current GM 350 started as a
meager 283 (or was it 260-something in the vette) and has become what it is
today. The CC 318 probably has a similar history, but I don't know it.

No, this is not a Ford Commercial, but it seems to be a good example.

Richard Lewis
92 LE CC, 318, Black and Silver