Re: Engine Stalls

From: Michael Clark (mike@snakebite.com)
Date: Wed Feb 11 1998 - 21:21:07 EST

Daniel Colucci wrote:

> I hope someone out there can help me out with a problem that has come up
> over the past two days. My 94 5.2 starts up fine but when I put it into
> gear it stumbles and dies. It will then fire up again, stumble and die.
> It doesn't do this all of the time however. There are times when it will
> drive normal then when I go to pull it in the garage it stumbles and dies.
> Somebody Help!!!!
>
> I'm hoping that it isn't serious. I really wouldn't want to have to take
> the engine out and replace it with a 5.9. That would be terrible.
>
> Has anyone on the list installed the four barrel throttle body. I have
> purchased an M1 manifold and have the money saved up for the throttle body
> and for the injectors. Any information would help.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dan Colucci
> 94 Sport LSD, 5.2, Auto, Vortech Supercharger, R/T performance package
> installed, Gibson, and soon to be sporting a four barrel manifold, TB, and
> injectors.

Mikes to da rescue.....

It is most likely your AIS motor (Air Idle Speed). The exact same thing
you describe is what my Dak was doing. How many miles you got on it?
The AIS is on the very rear of the throttle body. Take it out with two
torx screws and clean it up real good with some throttle boddy cleaner,
and also clean the throttle body itself, take a shop rag (clean) and
clean out where the AIS piston goes. Put it back together and see if
that helps. If it helps it probably means that your AIS is going bad or
getting weak or slow to respond. This happend to mine about 7 months
ago and I cleaned it and it did fine for another month or so. I put in
a new AIS (I think it was about $40 or $50 and haven't had any problems
since.

Hope this helps ya! Keep us posted.

--
----