Re: New engine

From: David Brown (dbrown@mh1.mcis.uchicago.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 12 1998 - 15:00:33 EST

Bruce, although my Dak is a V6, I've had other vehicles with V8's
(including the 318) so I certainly sympathize with what you are trying to
do, but I'm afraid you are wasting your time. Big companies (even CC) don't
care about who's bought what in the past, they just care about what will
generate income in the future. People on this list are generally an
exception, but the fact is that most people in the general public would
prefer a smaller more fuel efficient engine that produces the same power
than to keep an older model just for nostalgia's sake. Me, I'd love to be
able to buy a new Mustang with a monster 427 side-oiler in it but that just
ain't gonna happen. (for those of you who are violently anti-Ferd, how
about a Neon with a 440 in it?) The 318 and 360 won't be around forever.
Who knows, you might even like the new ones better.
- --
Mike Crumley mcrumley@airmail.net
----------
I've got to agree with Mike here, although I don't really like the situation.
I'm sure the same thing was said in the late 40's and early 50's, when the
straight 8 rectangles of iron were replaced by somewhat sculped V-8's. And again
in the early to mid 60's, when those heavy V-8s were replaced with "light
weight" castings. The result was less weight and more power. Manufacturing
tolerances improved with technology, enabling less need for extra mass for
rebuilds. Advances in oils in the 60's and 70's kept 'em running longer.

But, there's a real tendency to get things so tight and lightweight that there
is no room for structural modifications, or more importantly, rebuilding. I
doubt if any of the recently designed 4's and 6's are meant to be rebuilt. As
the pushrod engines are replaced, I doubt if there will be any block that can be
bored .030. Same for cranks, milling of heads, etc.

I think another concern is the use of diecast pans, and it seems that
crossbolting everything is being relied upon to provide the strength that
previously was provided by a hunk of iron or aluminum alloy. Have a problem in
one place and the whole thing is shot.

--
David Brown          Mailto:dbrown@mh1.mcis.uchicago.edu