Re: PTO

From: Keredt@AOL.COM
Date: Sat Feb 14 1998 - 00:45:04 EST

<<
 The tranny. The '78/'79 F150 should have an NP435 (New Process). It
 is better to drive it from the tranny. The PTO would then work while
 the transmission was in neutral or any gear as it is driven from the
 Cluster gear. (

So does that mean when you want the PTO winch to go in reverse you can put it
in rev? Because on my 74 Dodge the PTO was hooked to the Xfer case, You put
Xfer case in nuetral, put transmission in D Winch went forward through all
gears in tranny, R wound winch backwards!

The cluster gear turns any time the clutch is engaged)
 If you put one on the Xfercase, then the transmission has to be in some
 forward gear, since this is the source of power to the Xfercase.

I think If you put it on the Tranny the only way to operate is when trans is
in Nuetral, because if you put it in gear its harder to control the flow of
the vehicle, hold the brake and the Clutch and operate the gas. That's why
the give you a control lever, to stop and lock the hydrolic fluid, so you can
move vehicle, while PTO is partially operated, example dumb bed on the 91 F-
Superduty I used to drive, you could raise the bed disengage the PTO and leave
bed up reposition and then re-engage PTO!

Keredt