Re: Oil pressure

From: Lynne M. Ellsworth (lellsworth@whoi.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 18 1998 - 18:59:07 EST

Mike Crumley wrote:

> I did an oil change in the Dak this morning and for the first time replaced
> the oil with a synthetic (Castrol Syntec 10W-30) which I plan on using from
> now on. Afterward, I took the truck out for a spin and it seemed like the
> oil pressure was a bit higher than with regular (non-synthetic) oil. It
> has always been my experience that the oil pressure drops slightly as the
> oil get old and worn out, then when you change oil the pressure goes back
> up. I will readily admit that this may well be just a figment of my
> imagination or the product of a faulty memory (I can't remember _exactly_
> where the gauge went to last time I changed oil) but it seems slightly
> higher. Has anyone else noticed this with synthetic oil?
>
> On a related note, I don't know if this applies to the V8, but for those of
> you smart enough to have gotten your Dak with a money saving V6 (damn, I
> swear I can hear about 250 "reply" buttons being pressed) could they have
> put the oil filter in a harder to get to location?
>
> Mike (don't bother, we already know how much better the V8 is) Crumley
>
> --
> Mike Crumley mcrumley@airmail.net
> 97 Dakota Regular Cab Short Bed
> 3.9L V6 3.55 Auto
> DDBC Bug Shield Mud Flaps

        Mike
                I did notice. Eighter cut that wrench handle or get the scocketed one
with the swivel handle. Move the filter location. Yes I think of it
every time I wipe oil off my arm.
                The part that scares the heck out of me and I am barely able to talk
about is 4 quarts go in, right! Why doesn't 4 come out?
        Had not seen the pressure change much. FROM THE EARLY HALF MARK TO THE
LATE HALF MARK. Useing the same oil as you. NAPA gold filters.
Texaco 87 petro. Sometime ago when I switched to SYNTEC I could have
imagined lower RPMs for the same speed or WAS THAT FACT. I think it was
fact and told Jon about it.