Re: Re: Engine Noise When Cold

From: Bruce Aaron Hefner (gt9742a@prism.gatech.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 19 1998 - 09:59:17 EST

> Hmmm... there were two electric fans on my 83 Honda Accord, and two on
> my 87 Accord. Never had any problem with them in 160+K miles and 130+K
> miles respectively. Of course, being thermostatically controlled and
> small engines, they only ran if your were sitting in bumper to bumper
> traffic or whenever the AC compressor kicked on. And, of course, the
> Honda fans were not made by GM. ;}
>
> All front wheel drive vehicles with transverse mounted engines use
> electric fans. I haven't noticed that cooling fan motor failure is a
> common complaint on the usenet groups and mail lists.
>
> I would imagine that a high-volume fan, such as one required for a V8
> would see a bit more work. However, if the thermostat switch is set
> right, it shouldn't have to kick on much unless you spend alot of time
> sitting still with the engine running. Two smaller fans (which seems to
> be the norm for most larger engine applications) probably reduces the
> load on the individual motors and improves the longevity.
>

> jeff
> 98 RC 4x2 V8 5spd 3.55SG flares

You may be right, it could be that it was made by GM, but we never had any
other problem out of the car until I totalled it, what bothers me is the
cost, $200 for 2 little motors, I mean if a regular fan goes bad (Which
is pretty rare) it costs next to nothing to buy a new one and is easy to
install. Besides it seems like a regular fan would work better in
4-wheeling conditions when your turning 4 or 5K RPMS and only going 10-15
mph, because it would be turning 4 or 5K RPMS also, the little electric
fans just don't seem like they could pull as much air through the radiator
in those conditions....

Bruce