Re: DAKOTA's "WEAK" Transmissions

From: Klaus Wilkens (klaus@buffnet.net)
Date: Thu Feb 19 1998 - 20:21:23 EST

Joe,

This was written either by a complete idiot or a practical joker. The Torqueflite
has been around for eons and has built a reputation for toughness (Yea Bill I can
hear you cheering now, this coming from Mr. 5 spd.). the very early OD autos had a
problem in the OD unit but that was resolved long ago, I believe it was a snap ring
but don't quote me on it.

Anyhow the way automatics are made to shift smoother is by overlapping the shifts,
for exampe during the 2 -3 shift the 2nd gear band releases gradualy while the 3rd
gear clutches engage gradually. The net result is for a moment both 2 and 3 are
slipping.

A shift improvment kit dereases this "gear" overlap which when you think about it
will cause LESS wear on the tranny.

Hope this helps,

KW