Re: 318 - 360 interchange; was Cat question

From: Klaus Wilkens (klaus@buffnet.net)
Date: Fri Feb 20 1998 - 22:57:08 EST

An external balance is an additional balance weight to augment the internal
counterweights which are part of the crankshaft. Steel crankshafts are heavier
than cast iron and generally don't require an external balance. Cast Iron cranks
on the other hand are significantly lighter and may not have the necessary mass
to provide the required counterweight for balance. A 318 has a smaller bore and
and stroke and shorter rod than a 360 so the reciprocating mass is less and
external weight is not required. If the 360 were made with a steel crank it
would probably be internal balance.

The 360 is a smaller bore (.040") long stroke 340, in fact the 71 and 72 360
blocks were cast using the 340 cores and can be safely overbored 0.100". It was
brought out in 71 for the large cars and was to replace the 383 2bbl which
disappeared the next year.

KW