SBEC install update (pinging and thermostat)

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Sat Feb 21 1998 - 01:38:32 EST

   Before, when I posted to the list about installing the new
computer, I said that I wasn't getting any pinging. I wasn't
then, but today it started to ping. Driving through some hilly
country, I had to keep it in fourth, and sometimes had to drop
down to third to keep it from pinging.

    I'm not sure why I wasn't getting any pinging before;
maybe it was the learning curve, or maybe I wasn't pushing
it hard enough.

  Anyway, I finally got around to the thermostat install.
It was a litle more involved that I expected. Not difficult,
really, just time consuming. I took some notes and some
photos, and I'll write something up for the upgrades page
in case anyone would like to either do this themselves
or get an idea of what is involved. (The service manual
was a tremendous help!) I've got some pics of the SBEC
install too. I'll write something up for that too, just
to give those who are unfamiliar with it an idea of what
is going on. Got to get the pics developed first though. :-)

  Oh! (Duh...) I almost forgot the main point of this post!
I am VERY happy to report that, during my preliminary test
drive, I had absolutely no pinging, and I was really putting
it through its paces. (5th gear up hills, etc) Also,
the water temperature guage shows the engine being much
cooler. Before, the usual position of the needle during
normal driving was slightly left of top dead center. During
the test drive, the needle never made it off the second
hash mark on the left hand side of the guage! I'm not sure
if that guage is linear or not, but if so, the engine is
running almost 50% cooler! (Doesn't seem possible though,
just going from a (195?) to a 180 degree t-stat. The truck
also seemed to have more power, though I suspect a great
deal of that is due to an overactive immagination. :-)

                                              -Jon-

  .--- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu -- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---.
  | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, KotWitDoDFAQ, RP-SEL |
  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT Club Cab, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 (#FF019) |
   I do not speak for the SUNY College at Fredonia; all opinions are my own.