Re: 10w30 vs. 10w40

From: Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Mon Feb 23 1998 - 09:13:36 EST

> if you are going for overall protevion of your engine, and are concerned about
> wear, and bearing life I would go with a SAE 40, OR SAE 50 if you have a
> hight flow pump, and hardened intermediate shaft. espicalliy in the summer,
> the heavier oil would benefit you

  Not on a modern "close tolerance" engine! Personally, I don't have any
problem with straight-weight motor oil, and in fact used it exclusively when
I lived in Southern California (SAE30 in winter, SAE40 in summer), due to
the relatively stable climate. But that was on my '66 Mustang, and I knew
that 289 like the back of my hand.

  But these days, with relatively new stock vehicles, I can detect BIG
performance losses between 10w30 and 20w50. And I don't think it does the
top end any good when it's got to wait 30 seconds for the poor oil pump to
push that thick SAE50 molasses up to the heads.

  Ron