Re: 10w30 vs. 10w40 and syn oil

From: Jeff Lee (jlee@atlanta.nsc.com)
Date: Mon Feb 23 1998 - 09:41:06 EST

Dakota6638@AOL.COM wrote:

> if you are going for overall protevion of your engine, and are concerned about
> wear, and bearing life I would go with a SAE 40, OR SAE 50 if you have a
> hight flow pump, and hardened intermediate shaft. espicalliy in the summer,
> the heavier oil would benefit you

Don't forget, that the worst time for engine wear occurs at startup when
the oil is sitting in the pan before the pressure comes up. SAE 40 or 50
flows like honey when cold. If you run this for regular use, you'd
better get used to the tick-tick knock-knock sound of no oil pressure
for the first minute or so of engine operation. You can notice the
difference in startup sounds by simply changing from 10W-30 to 20W-40 or
20W-50.

I don't know about you guys, but low oil pressure engine knocks and
ticks sound like fingernails on glass to me. I can just visualize that
bearing material being ground away.... Aaarrrgghhhh!!! ;}

Concerning Syn oil. The 2nd greatest cause of engine wear is not oil
breakdown - its DIRT and contamination. The longer you leave the oil in
between changes, the more dirt and combustion blow-by gases get
suspended in it, regardless of whether its syn or dino oil. Yes the oil
filter removes the big dirt particles, but not the microscopic particles
or blow-by contamination.

IMHO the best thing you can do to combat the dirt and contamination
issue is change the oil and filter frequently. Unless you have unlimited
financial resources (read independently wealthy or a high-paying job,
single, and no family to support) frequent syn oil changes becomes cost
prohibitive. Like someone said in an earlier post, I use dino oil and
change it with the filter every 3K miles. Filter cost aside, I can
change my oil 3 times with dino oil for one time with syn oil. Overkill?
Yeah, probably...

Just my 2 cents. I can hear the reply buttons clicking as this is
probably another one of those religious topics...

jeff
98 RC 4x2 V8 5spd 3.55SG flares