Oil Viscosity

From: Mike (ax778@lafn.org)
Date: Mon Feb 23 1998 - 20:21:06 EST

Ok, lets get this straight. Mineral oils
 30w good middle of road, flows at 70F, gets a little thinner at 200f,
     chars at 350F
 50w molassas at 70F, nice flowing at 200f, and chars at 350f
 10-40 thin, flows at 0F, stays FLOWING at 200F, and chars at 350
 20w flows at 40f, thins out to WD40 at 200F, chars at 350F
      When thin at hot temps, gives very little portection
      to your engine.
   So, way it works is viscosity at room temp 70F is 1st
number, and the viscosity RATEING it meets at hi temp is the 2nd #.
 10-40 does not thicken at 200f, it actually DOES NOT THIN OUT when hot.

   Now synthetic oil is a different beast, it gets labled like
mineral oils, but performs much better over a wide range of temp,
without a boatload of additives (which is how mineral 10-40 is made)
It also does not char (carbon) till around 600F, which means it lasts
a lot longer.
  I may have exgratted some of the numbers for clarity, so don't
bug me and say it's really rated at 68F, not 70F.

--
Permission to use my e-mail address for unsolicited business
 e-mail is withdrawn as of Sept. 2, 1996.  Unsolicited

"What a waste it is to lose one's mind. Or not to have a mind is being very wasteful. How true that is."- Vice Pres. D. Quayle