Re: Dak Weak Trans/reply from rebuilder

From: Andre Mauboussin (andrem@cyberramp.net)
Date: Tue Feb 24 1998 - 00:01:55 EST

RLewis7785@AOL.COM wrote:

> In a message dated 98-02-23 09:23:46 EST, Joe forwarded the following:
>
> << We rebuild approximately 3-5 518 transmissions a week, in Dodge
> trucks('95-'98, mostly) with 40,000-60,000 miles. I have never seen one
> go more than 80,000 miles, although I am sure that some do. The torque
> converter is the main culprit, and there is nothing that can be done about
> it. Secondly, the torrington bearings, sungear, and planet, in the
> overdrive, are weak, and usually the hardfacing begins to flake off of
> these components, at, or around 60,000 miles, if the converter does not
> fail first. Also, unlike a 727 transmission, Chrysler did away with the
> input shaft-outputshaft bushing support, probably to cut down on production
> cost, which makes the front of the unit considerably weaker than a 727
> transmission.

This goes along with what I've been hearing lately from the racing trans builders.
Some of them are selling improvement kits for the overdrive unit(installing heavy
duty roller bearings) and I believe the same treatment for the pump housing as
well as converting to non lock-up convertors.

Andre Mauboussin
95 5speed 14.70@93.5mph