Re: cost of oil changes, dino vs. synth

From: Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Tue Feb 24 1998 - 11:01:01 EST

> This assumes 9,000 mi change interval for synth,
> [and 3,000 mi change interval for mineral oil]

> Synth is Cheaper, and I'll bet that the dino oilers
> will have to add a couple of quarts in 40,000 mi

  You've left out one important factor:

  Warranty Coverage Requires That You Follow The Manufacturer's Specified
Oil Change Interval, regardless of whether or not you use synthetic or
mineral. For most of us, that interval is 3000 mi. Let's not compare
apples to oranges.

  The upshot is that your assertion that synth is cheaper is not based
on maintaining warranty coverage. Of course, if your vehicle is already
out of warranty you're OK.

  Ron