Re: lowering blocks

From: DICEMAN469@AOL.COM
Date: Tue Feb 24 1998 - 14:50:49 EST

I lowered my '95 dak about a year and a half ago with a 3/4 drop and yes, I
have had minor bottoming with a load on rough roads. I bought lowered shocks
all the way around and they seem to have made the ride better. The lowered
shocks have larger bores and have generally a better damping rate. I also cut
down the rear bumpstops to approximately 1/2" to give more clearance for the
axle. Also remember that when the rear axle is dropped into the fenders, the
angle of the rear shocks in relation to the ground is greatened, thus
softening the effectiveness of the shocks further. Shock extenders are
available, which return the shocks to their normal angle, but they hang down
below the axle where they can scrape or get caught on obsticles.
      My recommendation if you decide to lower the dak is to use lowered
shocks as well. I'd also refrian from using blocks, instead using dearched
leafs or shackles (I used shackles). As I said with the shock extenders, the
blocks will bring the axle further from the leaves. This could lead to getting
caught up on an obstacle and under heavy acceleration actually twisting the
leaves forward, adding stress to the drivetrain.

-Austin
'95 Dak / Lowered 3-4 / 17" Boyds / V6