Re: 318 - 360 interchange; was Cat question

From: Nicholas McKinney (nickmckinn@mindspring.com)
Date: Tue Feb 24 1998 - 21:56:20 EST

At 12:39 PM 2/21/98 EST, you wrote:

><< And forged are better to
> get than billet. >>
>

>I beg to differ. What do you think all those Pro Stock, Pro Comp, Pro gas,
>and almost all extremely quick drag cars use? Not to mention NASCAR, Super
>Trucks, you name it. Almost all Hi Output racing engines use a Billet crank,
>cause they are stronger then a forged.
>
>Brad

Hello Brad,

I can only invite you to locate a copy of Smokey Yunick's "Power Secrets".
On page 29 you will find in his words:

"A non twisted forging is the strongest type of crankshaft you can put in
an engine. These forgings can usually be made with the same metals used in
billets, but since the non twisted forging has the improved grain structure
that is characteristic of forging techniques, it is stronger than a billet
crank."

Also you can find out some other information on metal forging from:

http://www.forgings.com/faq.shtml

I have assisted and biult numerous professional "Hi output racing engines",
I can remember only one having a billet due to a custom stroke that a
forging was unable to accommodate.

Regards

Nicholas