Re: Brakes and Shocks.

From: Robert Trottmann (rotrottmann@davidson.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 26 1998 - 01:06:22 EST

Michael Clark wrote:

> Robert Trottmann wrote:
> >
> Are there better pads, or
> > is a pad a pad?
>
> Well, some have wings and can protect you on heavy days ... er, No. You
> meant brake pads. Uh, someone else can better answer than me I'm sure.
> I think you will want to stay away from the high performance semi
> metalics because the Dakota rotors are so crappy it will eat them up.
> (sound right guys?)

Had to read that one twice. LOL

> I did my own headers, but if a header gets screwed up you just
> get an exhaust leak. If a brake screws up so do you usually.

If you can screw up your brakes and then get screwed, there'd be a heck of a
lot more accidents out there.

> And about the shocks, just get some good gas shocks. That should be ok.
> Do you ever bottom out the shocks you have on there? Probably not with
> just a 2" drop. I'd like to get some of those Edelbrock performer IAS
> (don't remember the exact name) but it's the ones that are like $80 each
> and are supposed to make your vehicle hadle extremely better. Has
> anyone tried these yet? Are they worth the money?

According to Summit's catalog, those shocks are only made for 97+ Dakota's.
No, I've never bottomed out in my Dakota, but in my '68 Ambassador, I used
to pump the brakes to make the front end bounce, and bottomed out once that
way. Gee, I wonder why those damn power brakes died so soon after I figured
that trick out?