Re: Cat question

From: jim miller (jmiller@eramp.net)
Date: Thu Feb 26 1998 - 21:32:21 EST

Mike Crumley wrote:

> I don't know about CC switching over to Cats, but as a former truck driver
> I can confirm that most all truckers would rather have a Cat than anything
> else. Unfortunately, I also have to tell you that Cats are _way_ more
> expensive than Cummins, so if CC does switch over, I would expect a nice
> price increase :(
> This is Jim in Waco and I heard this from a shop foreman at a Caterpillar shop.
> He was not sure of this but the word has gone around in Cat shops. I would
> expect that with the volume of

engines Dodge would buy, they could get them much cheaper than ordering 1 in a
semi. Alsothe engine for a pickup would have to be much smaller lighter model
than most semis use. This
also would lessen the cost. Anyway I dont know this as fact just something I
heard. But it is
TRUE that Ford bought out Cummins a year or 2 ago! I am sure CC had a contract
but it cant
last forever. Besides this gives Ford a chance to get rid of the often
problematic International
engines they have been using.