Re: Gibson exhaust installation

From: Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Fri Feb 27 1998 - 09:50:57 EST

> >And alot of mods we do either are copyrighted (i.e. the K&N filter mod)

  Not sure what you're getting at here. Ideas can not be copyrighted.
Copyright protection is designed to protect _reproduction_ rights of a
particular collection of intellectual property, not the intellectual
property itself.

  Ideas can be patented, but that's a whole different body of law. K&N
may well have a patent on it's filter design. I have not seen a whole
lot of competitors offering reusable cotton gauze filters, which is why
they can charge $40+ for what amounts to a simple system.

  I still contend that the main goal of any stock vehicle is profit for
the automobile industry. But you are right; stock vehicles offer a balance
between legal, emissions, safety, performance, & reliability requirements.
I just think there is a lot more room to improve performance without signifi-
cantly affecting safety and reliability.

  Ron