Re: Safety BS

From: Tony Mastres (mastres@id.ucsb.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 27 1998 - 03:48:14 EST

>It seems illogical to me to make one vehicle less safe so it does less
>damage to an unsafe vehicle, why not increase the strength of the unsafe
>one, it makes a lot more sense to me....
>
>Bruce

Now you've come to the real root of the problem. Its not safety, its MONEY!!!!
Cars are already safe, they have mandatory 5mph bumpers, side impact
bolstering regulations, crumple zones, airbags etc. Most of which SUV's and
especially trucks haven't usually had. The beef is from the insurance
industry more than anyone. They keep having to pay for the major damage
done to cars from SUV's, and trucks so they go on the PR offensive and try
to make said SUV's etc.. look like "bad things" because they weigh more and
destroy poor little cars. Its no secret, the insurnce industry freely
admits that they're concerned about the upswing in damage costs on car vs.
SUV/Truck collisions. It would really be hard to make cars safer
(rollcage?) so we get screwed by havng to put up with weaker trucks!

Tony J. Mastres
Photographer
Photographic Services __
1120 Kerr HAll UCSB []_.-' (Q,___\