Bleeding Brakes

From: Gary Ludwick (gludwick@csi.com)
Date: Fri Feb 27 1998 - 17:11:15 EST

>>If you are going to go to the trouble (compared to having
someone else do it) of doing a brake job yourself, why _wouldn't_ you take
a little extra time to bleed the system and replace the old fluid with
new?<<

Does the phrase "Don't fix what ain't broken" ring a bell?
If performing busy work on your ride brings you joy, great...bleed 'em
every 2000 miles. But as one with a life beyond a Dak's bumper, I got
better things to do than bleed a brake system unnecessarily...just for the
sake of feeling good about myself.
This whole syndrome of " if once is good, then 3 times must be better" is
MY pet peeve...I've generally found the manufacturer's recommendations to be
conservative to begin with. Going way beyond those isn't being a better
"enthusiast"...it's wretched excess. (not to mention, anal retentive)
Of course that's just my opinion...I could be wrong. :-)

Gary