Mods get bad rap, WAS: backfire and poor idel

From: Michael Clark (mike@snakebite.com)
Date: Sat Feb 28 1998 - 00:44:12 EST

Michael Clark wrote:
  The
> dealer will be the last step, but I'm sure they will blame my bolt-ons
> for the problem.

I really need a life guys, I'm replying to myself again! ;-)

Anyway, about repair shops blaming problems on your aftermarket mods....
I just got back from having the front end lined up and the guy tells me
that my passenger side upper control arm bushing is cracked and will
need to be replaced in the near future (ok for now). He said "it's
probably from that exhaust..." and "... that exhaust doesn't make it
easy for me to do my job..." Like I care about his job, pisses me off!
And not to mention that is was the stock manifold that cooked that
bushing to begin with. I remember even before I was considering
headers, looking at that very bushing and thinking how close it was to
the stock manifold. The headers look to me like they actually have more
clearance from this bushing than the stock manifolds. But you'd never
convince Joe Monkeywrench of that. They think just because you have
modified your truck you're some kind of sick maniac, or serial killer or
something. And just because I look young enough to pass for a teenager
that makes things worse as well. They talk to you like you barely know
which hole to put the gas in.... But enough ranting, I feel better now.

--
----
  Michael Clark            mike@snakebite.com