Re: Hole in stock muffler

From: jetpilot@ukans.edu
Date: Tue Mar 03 1998 - 14:12:24 EST

Jeff Lee <jlee@atlanta.nsc.com> wrote:

>I was crawling around underneath my 98 Dak last weekend to check out the
>ease of replacement of the exhaust system (cat back). While I was under
>there (with the engine running), I noticed a buzzing sound indicative of
>an exhaust leak. I found a small pin sized hole in the stock muffler on
>the tailpipe end near the bottom. From the looks of the carbon deposits
>around the area, this hole has to have been here since new (truck only
>has 2K miles on it).

  Hi Jeff;
  The hole is a "weep" hole, which is there purposely to
  allow condensed water to drain out of the muffler, which
  results in less corrosion, and longer life for the muffler.
  I think the OEM Dakota mufflers have a stainless steel
  outer jacket, but chances are, the internal baffles, etc.
  are not stainless, and will rust, thus the hole.

  Mine is coming off pretty soon too...I'm still shopping for
  the best pricing on a Gibson cat-back (single 3") at the moment tho'.

  Dan
         (__) ,---------. NOTE: The preceding message was sent via Jaek and
         (oo) | :\/: _ _ \ Jon's WWW mail cow gateway. That is to say, the
  /-------\/_/ : :: :: : ) person who sent this message could in fact be an
 / | MAIL|| \_ ' '`-'`-'/ anonymous prankster. Even though this message was
* ||"" || \__________/ mailed to you from the cs.fredonia.edu domain, it
   ^^ ^^ could have been generated by anyone in the world.
Please keep this in mind. Thank you! --Jaek (smit2204) and -Jon- (stei0302)