Re: dakota-truck.net

From: Jack Snodgrass (dakota@cybermail.net)
Date: Tue Mar 03 1998 - 22:18:09 EST

On Tue, 03 Mar 1998 21:26:38 -0500, Jon Steiger wrote:

>At 07:34 PM 3/3/98 -0600, Jack Snodgrass wrote:
>> I haven't got as many responses to the dakota-truck.net as
>>I had hoped to get. I only counted two responses. I think that
>>I'm going to go ahead and get dakota-truck.net anyway and
>>worry about paying for it when the bill comes due.
>>
>> If anyone has any reasons why I should NOT get dakota-truck.net
>>or get dakota-truck.org instead... let me know ASAP. I'm going to
>>request the name on Wed. morning. It should probably be active
>>by Thursday morning.
>>

> Jack,
>
> Sorry that I haven't responded; I had your message flagged to
>respond to it, but it fell by the wayside, as most things seem to
>do these days... :-P
>
> I like the idea, but my main concern is the cost. As I
>understand it, Internic charges $100 for the first 2 years,
>and $50 per year thereafter. The cost for the list itself
>is $120/year. I'm sure you don't want to pay the $50 yourself
>every year, just like I can't afford to pay $120 every year for
>the list. Several DML members have proven to be most generous with
>their donations to keep the list running, but this would bring the
>total up to $170/year.

    I could live with eating the $50 per year two years from now....
it's the initial $100 for the first 2 years that my wife is going
to balk at. ;) I'll just get the name, list me as the billing
contact and see what happens.

> BTW: If someone was to go to http://www.dakota-truck.net/, where
>would they end up? Would that direct them to the current DML Home Page?
>IMHO, that would be the optimal solution, but I'm not sure if that would
>interfere with having "individual" redirections too. (Like http://.../mclark,
>http://.../rpm, etc.)

I'd have the 'address' www.dakota-truck.net come to my machine and be
redirected to the current DML home page. The same thing would
happen with www.dakota-truck.net/mclark... but it would be redirected
to a different web site. So... the www.dakota-truck.net web server
would really just be a 'redirector' to other web pages and not
have the web pages itself. All I need to do is come up with $1500
per month and I can get a T1 line. Piece-o-cake. ;)