Re: Drilling holes in aftermarket mufflers. Was: Hole in stock muffler

From: Jeff Lee (jlee@atlanta.nsc.com)
Date: Wed Mar 04 1998 - 09:20:22 EST

Weingart, Robert F (Robert) wrote:

> Jon-
> I don't know why Gibson doesn't put a condensation drain on their
> mufflers. When I let the truck idle after starting it cold, water
> literally pours out of the hole. The muffler is shaped like a barrel
> and I think that this design traps water in the bottom. This may not
> be a problem if you get a stainless muffler, but mine is only
> aluminized.

<snip>

Rob,

How big does the hole need to be to be effective without producing much
"exhaust leak" noise. The hole in my stock muffler seems pretty small
(1/16" ??), but when you get close you can hear the buzz. Don't want to
put on a new exhaust system and make it sound defective.

jeff
98 RC 4x2 V8 5spd 3.55SG flares