RE: dakota-truck.net

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 04 1998 - 18:40:58 EST

At 05:21 PM 3/4/98 -0500, Ayotte, Glen wrote:
>Jon,
>
>Although I am not new to computers. I am fearly new to the Net. Would
>could you explain to me how you setup work, and what are your cost. I
>would like to know a bunch of info. What kind of server is this running
>on? Do you pay for it? What kind of connection to the NET are you
>using? Please let me know. I may be able to help us out. Any info you
>can provide will help me with a response. If I can't help with a
>web-site. I will be more that willing to kick a few buck your way to
>get this up and running.

   Sure, here's the current setup:

  Mailing list:

     The mailing list is on a commercial ISP (Buffnet.net) and costs about
$10/month ($120/year). This is a full time, high bandwidth connection.
I don't know the exact details but I suspect that it is at least a T3.

  WWW Page:

    This is at www.cs.fredonia.edu, where I still have a student account.
I work there now as a network administrator. Cost: free. Someday, I
will probably lose the account and will have to worry about finding
another site for the WWW stuff, but hopefully that won't be for quite
some time. This is a full time T1 connection. If I ever lose this
account, it will be a major hassle... I'd have to get another dial-up
account to an ISP and find a place for my 85MB worth of WWW pages. (25MB
of which is the Dakota page. The rest is my personal web page (small) and
an my ultralight web page (big). I'd love to be able to serve these
things out of my house with a speedy connection. Maybe someday. :-P

  The www.dakota-truck.net (or whatever) address we have been talking
about lately would be just a "redirector". There wouldn't be a physical
web site, but it would (invisibly) redirect visitors to the fredonia.edu
page.

                                              -Jon-

  .--- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu -- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---.
  | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, KotWitDoDFAQ, RP-SEL |
  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT Club Cab, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 (#FF019) |
   I do not speak for the SUNY College at Fredonia; any opinions are my own.