Timing chain "clank"

From: am14@chrysler.com
Date: Thu Mar 05 1998 - 12:59:20 EST

Howard Writes: >>Bought my second Dakota a few month ago, it is a 93
with the 3.9 V-6...has slightly over 100K miles. Engine was sound with
the exception of a loose timing chain that was causing some noise.
Replaced the chain and gears and it took care of the problem....or so I
thought. Less than a month and 5000 miles later, the noise has
returned. A friend of mine in the used car business says this is a
common problem with this engine.

Has anyone ran into this problem? If so, how did you fix? I am
thinking of trying to find a
gear drive for this engine. - <<

I would think the timing chain for the 318 or the 360 would be the
same, and I have both of them
and both had in excess of 150,000 miles before the chain/gears had to
be replaced. I used the
double roller chain and steel gears when I replaced them. I also have
a '89 V6 Dakota that has
in excess of 150,000 miles and the original timing chain is still on
it. (weaker valve springs on
the V6 I assume.)

Azie