Stalling out

From: am14@chrysler.com
Date: Thu Mar 05 1998 - 14:11:44 EST

Angela Writes: >>I have a 95 Dakota sport, 4cyl manual with almost
57,000 miles. I have not had any trouble with it until about three
weeks ago. It started hesitating and running rough. A relative who
works on Dodges changed the plugs, wires, distributer cap and rotor b
utton. The next day it had an oil change. It ran fine for several
days, then it broke down again. It would idle fine, but if you tried
to take off, it would die again. We
replaced the ignition and pickup coil, and it ran fine for 3 or 4 days.
Last Saturday, I took it out again, and it died on me in the middle of
the road. We changed the exterior fuel filter, and it ran fine till
yesterday. It will run fine for a while, then die. If I am going at
highway speeds it's easy to restart. If I am parked, it is very hard
to start and keep running. Does any one have any suggestions? We're
running out of things to change.

Sounds like the coil is breaking down under heat. Does it only happen
after the truck has reached operating temperature for a little
while.????

You said you replaced the pickup coil, so the next logical place to
look is the coil, provided you've determined it is the lack of spark.
Could also be the TBI (I think the 4 banger is still TBI isn't it.).
Gotta determine if it is lack of gas or lack of spark, 1st.

Azie
Ardmore, Al.