Re: Problems with 95 dak

From: Howard Olson (olson.howard@mcleodusa.net)
Date: Thu Mar 05 1998 - 20:51:48 EST

From: Angela M Chavez <howlingwolf1@juno.com>
To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net <dakota-truck@buffnet.net>
Date: Thursday, March 05, 1998 1:26 AM
Subject: DML: Problems with 95 dak

>I have a 95 Dakota sport, 4cyl manual with almost 57,000 miles. I have
>not had any trouble with it until about three weeks ago. It started
>hesitating and running rough. A relative who works on Dodges changed the
>plugs, wires, distributer cap and rotor button. The next day it had an
>oil change. It ran fine for several days, then it broke down again. It
>would idle fine, but if you tried to take off, it would die again. We
>replaced the ignition and pickup coil, and it ran fine for 3 or 4 days.
>Last Saturday, I took it out again, and it died on me in the middle of
>the road. We changed the exterior fuel filter, and it ran fine till
>yesterday. It will run fine for a while, then die. If I am going at
>highway speeds it's easy to restart. If I am parked, it is very hard to
>start and keep running.
>
>Does any one have any suggestions? We're running out of things to
>change.
>TIA
>
>A. Chavez
>howlingwolf1@juno.com

>Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]
This is a long shot, but I had a similar problem the day after I bought my
used 93 V-6........thing would be going down the road and just quit...then
after sitting for a while it would start up and run good for a while...to
make a long story short, after checking the fuel pump pressure and changing
the fuel filter, I found the fuel return line back to the tank to be
clogged.....putting a little air pressure into the line from an air
compressor forced out the restriction and it has been fine since. My theory
is that if the fuel is not allowed to circulate, it stays in the fuel rail
long enought for it to become heated from the engine and creates good old
fashioned vapor lock.
Again, just a theory and a long shot but worth checking out. Hope it helps!