RE:Magnaflow Muffler

From: Joe Borg (joe.borg@ccmail.dowjones.com)
Date: Fri Mar 06 1998 - 07:31:43 EST

     Here is a message I posted about a month ago. Hope it helps. This
     flowmaster setup does not sound tinny at all! Joe Borg

Subject: DML: 98 DAK mods complete! (with p/n's)-LONG
Author: <dakota-truck@buffnet.net> at internet
Date: 2/10/98 10:27 AM

     Hi all, this weekend I completed several VERY successfull mods on my
     Dakota. Several people have been questioning on procedures and I
     thought I'd help clarify some of them:
     Air Cleaner Mod:
        Edelbrock 1208
        K&N E-1080

     This is a direct bolt on with little modification needed. There was
     alot of talk concerning removing the stock mounting assembly and
     custom bending an "sbolt" out of threaded rod. This scares me. Bending
     threaded rod that far puts it at the point of breaking AND looks very
     tacky. In a stock,close to stock application (cam, pistons etc) I dont
     think there is too much to gain from eliminating the stock bracket and
     using an s bolt. Someone mentioned using a Mr. Gasket 4" air cleaner
     stud. How do you hold it in place? From a nut on the bottom, ready to
     vibrate loose and fall in your engine? I dont think so Tim...
     The stock setup uses a short carriage bolt inserted in the bracket
     through the bottom and held in place with a locknut installed from the
     top. I merely removed the stock bolt and replaced it with a 3 1/2"
     1/4-20 carriage bolt and new locknut. You have to center the new
     cleaner on the stock gasket, then the cleaner bolts down even better
     than the factory install! No cutouts need to be punched out as the
     1208 has a breather tube built right in. The breather hose runs from
     the drivers side valve cover to the aircleaner. Twisting the hose 90
     degrees so the opening faces vertical (up) rather than horizontal
     (forward) and some slight rerouting is all that is needed. I trimmed
     about 1/2" of the air cleaner end for a more perfect fit. If you are
     facing the engine compartment I positioned the breather tube on the
     air cleaner at about 11:00 to clear other obsatcles.
     A perfect fit any mechanic would be proud of!
     GAINS: much better throttle response.
            At a 30 mph roll, floor it and hang on! A DEEP 4 bbl sounding
            roar and TONS of torque! A definate improvement. A nice chirp
            off the line but power braking still needed for any kind of
            "smoke show"

     With such good luck on the intake side, this is what I did to improve
     the exhaust:

     A flowmaster p/n 42443 is a direct bolt on to a 98 DAK. Flowmaster
     advised NOT to increase pipe size from 2 1/2" to 3" UNLESS a complete
     hi po rebuild was in line (including cam, pistons etc. ) They said
     2-1/2" is optimum for a 318 with stock pistons, cam etc. Larger pipes
     may help at all out top end but would ruin low end performance. I used
     a 2 chamber muffler which is NOT too loud although you can hear it and
     it sounds great! The installer needed to cut the front muffler bracket
     and weld it directly to the pipe which is the way the raer hanger is
     setup anyway. No adapter pipes were neded! There is a ton of clearance
     AND I still have my stainless exhaust using all factory hangers!
     Flowmaster 42443 - $54.95
     Installation - $25.00
     GAINS: No power braking needed at all! Hold rpms's at about 1500 with
     brake. Release brake completely and floor it. A NICE smoke show into
     2nd gear...with an automatic!

     Now on to the the sure-grip upgrade.....will keep you posted.
     Hope this clears up some of your questions. If you need anything
     clarified, please feel free to write! Joe Borg