Re: alternator

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Wed Mar 11 1998 - 12:06:13 EST

>> My Dak started squeeling last week at 28000kms and dealer says is alternator
>> belt....this normal at these kms? What other effects are there when this
> I found my (94) tensioner seized squirted it with WD40 and wrenched it
>around to loosen. Squeal went away. But pullys can go bad and the
>lineup. Don't forget the bearings behind then. Maybe the Guys know more

Well, I think you got a bad component from the factory. The design is sound.
I'm replacing both the idler and tensioner along with my water pump at
about 225,000 km (135,000 miles) as preventive maintenance. I'm still using
the original equipment belt, although it's cracked on the inner grooves, and
glazed a bit on the back. Modern serpentine belts use Kevlar reinforcing,
so as long as it's not slipping, they rarely fail. I carry a spare just in
case (actually had changed briefly, but the new one was noisier).

I checked all the bearings by rocking the pulleys, and only these two
displayed any play at all. The (120A heavy duty) alternator was fine, as
was the A/C compressor. The water pump wasn't leaking a bit either, but I
think it was "time". A bit of peace of mind, anyway.

Good luck,

Jim

P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--
          Dakota: The Right Caliber of Dodge Magnum Force!
-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP
1993 Emerald Green V8 4x4 CC K&N, Accel Coil, Bilsteins, Redline synthetics.
Tread Lightly on Public and Private Lands -- Abuse it and we'll lose it!